Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Flowers!

I was out and about today with a dear friend when we spotted a cart of colorful primroses in front of one of the local nurserys.

Of course we immediately pulled over and ended up buying some. We both felt the need to have bright, colorful, happy flowers in our homes.

Then tonight as I was editing photos for a few clients I came across a photo I had taken of some flowers another friend had given me...just a few days before Connor's 1st birthday.

Tonight I was reminded of something I had said, shortly after learning that Connor would not live.

I had started planning everything. Being organized and planning everything I could even think of was one of my ways of coping. One thing I wanted to plan on was having flowers in my home after our son passed away. I even mentioned it to Spencer and said, "I want to ask Konnor (my brother) to help us with flowers."

Spencer looked at me and said "You can't ask him to do that, Jen."

Oh. Duh. It's rude to ask for those things. Duh!

I never mentioned it again, to Spencer, to Konnor...or anyone.

So now it's time to thank many of you, as our home has had flowering plants of some kind or another...since before our son was born and we still have flowers blooming...and it's been just over 14 months.

I think there was a period of 3 weeks when we did't have some flowering plant...3 weeks out of 14 months. That's amazing to me.

Flowers bring me hope. I've always loved them and I always will.

And as my friend and I bought our flowers today, I think we laughed through our tears as I reminded her what a friend taught me...

Spring will come again.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Isn't it amazing how simple flowers can bring us a little happiness? That is so cool that you've had so many of them in your home. So many thoughtful people.

Anonymous said...

Love the flowers. Feels like spring in here! I get a lift every time I look at them. Thanks Jen.