Monday, November 2, 2009

Family Tree

Many months ago, or maybe it was last year, I saw a Family Tree on a blog. And I loved it!



I just found out that Spencer's cousin, Cindy, is the one who designs and sells these family trees. I had no idea she is the one making these. Click here to see more of her designs.

It's neat to see these because Cindy was the first person we talked with after we found out about Connor. She knew from first-hand experience what we were about to go through. She and her husband were one of those families we met while living in D.C. who have prepared us for Connor.

I'm going to make one for our family - as another way to pull him into our family. Another way of remembering.

I think of those mothers who lived 100 years ago. If our son had been born then, with the visible disabilities that he had, how would the baby and mother have been treated? Would she have had to bear her child's birth and death in emotional isolation? Would the child be included in their family tree, or would his existence never be mentioned?

I am blessed to go through this during a time when people will talk and acknowledge. Not everyone perhaps...but many do and I am grateful for you.

The emails have been touching.

So...go make a family tree and give it as a Christmas gift...as a reminder to each of us that our families are where we'll experience true joy and pure love.

I know this is true because I have felt it.

I've felt heartache and frustration from family members too...but when Connor was born, I felt something like I had never experienced before.

And it makes me want to feel it again and again.

Or as Sydney would say, "A lot and a lot and a lot."

2 comments:

Sara Jarvie said...

Jennifer,
I read your blog often and it touches me very much. Thank you for your bare honesty. Ever since you talked about taking pictures for parents/families whose children are not expected to live very long I have had a desire to do that. A way to share my talent and give to others. How would you suggest I start the process? Thanks for being an inspiration to me. I miss you and your beautiful family!

Sara Jarvie

Colin & Lori said...

Jen, just catching up on your blog tonight. I always cry when I read it. For some reason I love to do that-read your blog and cry. I have been thinking of you a lot lately for some reason. I thought the other day of the picture you have of Ellie (I think) in the big pumpkin you carved out when she was little and fit into it. I've been thinking of Connor and his precious life and how it has touched me. I can't really explain it.