Saturday, November 21, 2009

12 months

I went looking for Christmas pajamas tonight. Hoping they were on sale. They weren't.

I glanced at a rack of boys fleece pajamas and the first size my eyes fell upon was the small "12 mon" label on the top of the hanger. I couldn't help myself, and reached out and pulled it out. Soft, fuzzy and light blue. I held it up, to see how big he would have been.

Then I tried not to cry there in front of the Carter's pajamas display at Target.

It hits at funny times, when I'm not even thinking about him.

The last time we dressed him, I made sure we had warm, white socks for his little feet. I didn't want him to be cold. Dumb, huh? But it's that motherly instinct thing that kicked in I guess.

For a small fleeting moment tonight, I had this funny thought go through my mind. "Should I buy the pajamas?" Disgusted at myself for even thinking the thought, I then thought, "What would I do with them?" After a few moments I replaced the pajamas and walked away and tried to look like I hadn't been crying.

2 comments:

Mary Creasy said...

Would it help to buy the pajamas and donate them to a shelter, or "Christmas Store" to help a little boy be warmer and loved this Christmas?

Would it help to make a Connor's Christmas Box as a family, gifts for a boy his age to give to someone in need?

It might not. But I thought it might?

You are in my thoughts frequently this season.

Stephanie said...

I was thinking the same thing. Would it be better to buy them and give them. I don't know what helps you, but you just inspired me. I'm going to get something we would buy for our baby (that should be here but isn't) and give that. Thanks for being an inspiration!