You may have noticed that we took this blog private for a little while - but that it's been open again open to the public for the past few weeks.
I realized on Thursday why it needs to be public.
This past week we heard of three families who have just received a Trisomy diagnosis for their unborn child. Three. In one week.
I heard about the last one as I was driving to my grandfathers funeral. And after I hung up the cell phone I drove down the freeway, crying for my son, myself and those families who are just starting their journey - on a roller-coaster ride they never wanted to ride.
On the way home today I drove home in my car and talked with my husband over the phone and cried some more as we talked about these families.
This blog needs to be open to all those who are searching for information and support.
Both Spencer and I truely hope that some of what we've experienced will help make your journey a little easier.
Monday morning addition:
I was up in the middle of the night again and I kept thinking about our search for information after we received Connor's diagnosis. Our original doctor was of no help. He was kind, but he was no teacher.
His first comment to us after the diagnosis was, "Well, we know what the problem is." And that was it. No compassionate "I'm sorry." Nothing. No more information given about groups like Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep or Angel Watch or Rainbow Kids. Maybe he wasn't aware of them at all?
We have learned that some doctors are teachers while others would rather their patients jump on the "conveyor belt" and not ask questions.
After several uninformative visits with our original doctor, we started searching for one which fit us. And we found one. He took time to teach us - to spell out all the options and gave us time to make an informed decision. All the information he and others gave us helped us make our decisions. And we have few regrets with the decisions we made.
On another day I will share a few thoughts about my grandpa and this weekend.
3 comments:
Wow, I can't believe three families in one week. Your blog will for sure provide some strength to these families looking for help. You may be more of a support to them than you ever will realize!
I'm sorry about your grandpa.
I think finding your blog would be/will be a wonderful support for more people than you will ever even know.
-mary
After much sorrow I finally feel peace. I am one of those families!
I feel the peace that I know has only come through the Holy Ghost. And I know I will feel the sustaining help of this peace throughout the remainder of this pregnancy. I know this is Hevenly Fathers will, and I have a firm testimony of the power of the Comforter. Because sometimes that's all we get is comfort.
Sometimes the trials don't get better, sometimes the ending is horribly difficult, but with the Comforter, I know I CAN do it
I want to personally thank you for your words of support and comfort.
Post a Comment