Thursday, January 14, 2010

I want to brag...

Well, I guess it's not really bragging...but I want to share what my brother and sister did for Katy.

Go back in time to the night I was to turn Connor over to the funeral home, most of my siblings showed up at the hospital, unannounced, so that I would not have to be alone (Spencer and I had felt he should be home with our other children that night). They were with me when I received the phone call, telling me that I had one hour left with Connor before I had to turn him over to the funeral home. They helped me make the last photos of him...with his bear, of me holding his feet, his fuzzy little back and then a few shots of his cute, naked body. Sounds funny, but I'm so glad I have a naked shots of him. Well, all of them for that matter.

Towards the end of that hour, I asked everyone to leave the room so I could spend a few mintues alone with my son. I'm crying as I think about it. I remember kneeling by the side of the bed and I dressed him for the last time. Then it was time to turn him over. The nurse was so kind to me...and so gentle with him as she carried him away.

Then my family came back in the room, and I noticed they were all hovering around my sister's coat, which was hiding something. I asked about it, but they brushed me off, saying I'd have to wait a few minutes.

At some point in time (it's all so blurry), they uncovered the gift which was hidden under my sister's coat. It was a beautiful wooden box and inside were gifts from each of my siblings...something which reminded them of our son's life...and what they had experienced the night before. They each took a turn at explaining what they had contributed to the box and why they chose that item. It was a tender night, a spiritual moment for me...and love was in that hospital room. It brought us closer together.

The items in the box are sacred to me. And a few other items have been added. I love Connor's Box.

So...fast forward to last week...

After Katy (Abigail's mother) came to Connor's birthday bash, Katy and I made arrangements to meet again before she flew home to Virginia. Our plan was to visit Abigail's spot here in Utah and then go to lunch.

Well, when my sister and brother found out, they both expressed the desire to come. Shelly, who owns a balloon company, brought 14 HUGE pink and white balloons to release at Abigail's Spot. And Konnor wanted to go and purchase a box for Katy, a woman he had never even met.

I have the most incredible siblings! Full of love and compassion. They spent their own money and gave of their time to come to Abigail's Spot last week, where we let go of those huge balloons in honor of Abigail. And then Konnor presented Abigail's Box to Katy, who was so touched. But so was I. Konnor explained the significance and we all squeezed out a few tears.

I don't know what my parents did, but they raised children who are tender and compassionate.

I learned a few things from my brother and sister that day...and hope I will become more loving and giving like they are.

Katy...that day was a sweet one for me. Lunch was fabulous...but going to Abigail's Spot, and seeing her balloons in that bright, blue sky...all lined up...I hope I will always remember the feelings.

Send me the photos and I'll post a few.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh wow, you are one strong woman to experience all you have and continue to go through. You are inspiring to me!!

Anonymous said...

I think one of the greatest gifts God gives to us is other people. I'm so glad you have such wonderful family!