Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tonight...

Sad days are turning into sad moments, so I guess that's a good sign that I'm moving along this road of grieving.

Today has been a series of these sad moments. I cried while I washed dishes this afternoon and tonight my mind is full of thoughts as I've taken time to pull out a few of Connor's pictures and look at them.

They've made me realize how glad I am that we made the decisions that we did.

When we were told that he had Trisomy 18 we were given the choice to terminate the pregnancy. And now that I am where I am, I see what our family would have missed out on had we ended his life. I am so glad we carried him to term. His life was mere minutes - but so worth all we've gone through. We would have missed out on SO many neat experiences had we terminated the pregnancy.

The day I got married was a special day. The day our first child was born was even more special. And the day Connor was born has truely become one of the highlights of my life.

I was very touched by something an aunt and uncle wrote in a letter to us shortly after Connor died -

"Your faith and resolve have lifted us in valuing life in whatever condition it is granted."

Many parents are given a lot of pressure to terminate their pregnancies once an abnormality is discovered. Difficult times and difficult decisions for them.

I'm glad we made the one we did.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Oh, what a tender post! Connor has blessed all our lives, even those of us who personally were not able to meet him! You make sure we all have the opportunity to know what a blessing he's been to your family.