Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What a crazy day!!

Between everything that we had going on today, I was home for a total of 45 mintues! But there were also some sweet moments during my day.

I attended the funeral of a little friend and as I walked into the church I was immediately reminded of the power of photography. The family had made a movie of all the photographs taken of this sweet little boys life and it was powerful. It reminded all of us of the feelings that were present in that hospital room and how he affected so many lives. Of course it brought tears to my eyes.

I had a few minutes to sit and think and I started thinking of this blog. If I could be preachy and say one thing today, I'd say "Get in the photos with your kids and/or those who you love." Don't wait until you lose 10 pounds or until you have your make-up on, just get in there! Your kids need to have photos of you all together and keep in mind that we're only going to age and in ten years we're just going to look worse than we do now. Don't wait. They need to have photos of you together.

I suggest taking lots of photos and journal about all the things you do together. They are powerful reminders that will come in handy someday as we try to help a child "remember" the good times we've shared and how we love them.


So, get out your camera, read the manual (many times), and start shooting!

I guess you can say I am a believer in photography. It hurts me that my mind no longer remembers what Connor looked like. I remember the feelings but I can't picture his face in my mind anymore.

But I have photos of him, and they remind me. And even though I feel like I look horrible in the photos, that's what I looked like at the time and so I'll take it.

Thank you again, Miyo Strong and Julie Williams for capturing the life of our son with your cameras.

2 comments:

Kerri said...

Photos are such a treasure and how lucky you are that you have such sweet ones of Connor and your family. They are priceless!

Colin & Lori said...

What a touching sweet picture of you and Connor! I love your expressions and they show your love and how much you cherished the precious time you had together. It always touches my heart to read your blog. Little Connor, your Mommy really, really loves you!