Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Yesterday

Early yesterday morning I received a long awaited phone call. A friend of mine was at the hospital to deliver her son, who like Connor, had Trisomy 18 and was not expected to live more than a few days.

I cried when I received her email. A flood of emotions - excitement that she and her husband finally got to meet their little man, sadness that their time together would be so short, and in general it was just another reminder of where I was exactly six months before.

I quickly made plans and waited for "the" phone call and was ready when it came.

Her son is beautiful. And he's born into a family who loves him and boy, is his life carefully documented!

Normally at six months I have my children's photos taken - and since I could not take Connor's, taking this little man's photos was a sweet gift for me (my friend Julie wa the main photographer and I was only backup as I was afraid of being an emotional mess). I am so glad my friend asked me to come. It was tender and at the end I cried as I held her son and she so lovingly invited me to come back today if I needed to.

It was amazing - her son and my son looked so similar! Oh, these babies with Trisomy 18 will always have a special little corner of my heart.

A sweet ending to the six month anniversay of Connor's birth.

No comments: