Several months ago I read another mother's idea that we as parents can be the "Eye of the Storm." I remembered her words just a few weeks ago:
It happened on an early afternoon just a few weeks before Christmas. We had invited two cute little friends over to play with Hayden. They were playing well and then everything erupted with uncanny timing...
Hayden was brought away from his friends for a few minutes to cool down and he started crying loudly...all while I had our little Miss on my hip and she then started wailing...then the timer went off, which signaled that our bread was done baking...then the phone started ringing...all this took place in about five seconds.
It probably doesn't seem like that much was going on, but because it hit at precisely at the same time I got a quick wave of overwhelm; until I remembered Shawni's thought of being the "Eye of the Storm," and staying calm while everything else around you is crazy busy.
"Stay calm" I remember saying to myself a few times as I quickly figured out in what order I would address things and how to deal with them to keep everything as calm as possible.
I think I need to repeat this phrase more often.
No comments:
Post a Comment