Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Necklace

I've never been a fan of jewlery.  I liked it on other women, but I always felt a little "fake" when I wore more than one or two pieces.  As a result I've only owned maybe two necklaces and the same number of bracelets in my whole life.

That is, until Eli Connor came into the picture.

My friend Julie gave me a special bracelet at the hospital a little while after he died.  Then another sweet friend gave me another gorgeous bracelet at "Connor's Spot," on the day of his funeral.  Then other necklaces were quietly given to me...some with our family's photo on them, others had birthstones representing each of our children, one with a woman holding a turquoise heart.  Each of them beautiful and so loved by me.  So I've started wearing necklaces and I'm hooked!  I am so proud to wear each one and I have loved the variety, which has allowed me to wear one regardless of what I'm wearing that day.

Earlier this year I contacted a woman named Kara and asked her to make me one more necklace (like I needed any more).  I wanted one more, a simple one that I could wear almost everyday.  She made one for me.  And she made one for a friend of mine in Virginia who lost her son.  She made some cute initial necklaces for my daughters.  And then when my sister lost her son recently I quickly sent off another email to Kara, asking her if she's make yet another one.

I sent off the request on the day of Timothy's delivery and the necklace for my sister arrived the day before his funeral.  It was perfect timing as I knew that I wanted to give this beautiful necklace to my sister at Timothy's Spot.  I think because a special bracelet had been given to me by a sweet friend at Connor's Spot...and somehow it's made my bracelet all the more endearing.

I'll always be grateful to Kara for dropping everything in order to make this necklace for my sister.

I took photos of the event, some of which I won't show.  They show too much raw emotion.  But my sister's face when she read Kara's sweet note and when she saw what the package held, was tender and brought tears to my eyes....as I pointed out to my sister that we now had matching necklaces.

Thank you Kara!  And to all those of you who gave me jewlery to remind me of my son, know that I love the jewlery, am touched by your kindness in giving my jewlery to remind me of my son.

I hope Timothy's Necklace is as sweet to her as my jewlery is to me.



2 comments:

Kerri said...

Oh, love this post! Kara is a friend of mine. Her sweet mother is in my ward and Kara's family also goes to the same school as my children do this year. She is an absolute sweet-heart. I am so glad she was able to make the perfect gift for your sister. It will be a treasure I am sure!

kara jayne said...

it was my honor...truly.