Last weekend I had one of those, "My heart is so full I almost cried" moments.
My sister Shelly was running in the RAGNAR relay and about an hour before she ran her first leg Spencer and I realized that because our schedule had just opened up, we would have time to drive up and hopefully see her. Well, we made it to the end of her first leg five minutes before she did.
It was so special and neat to see my sister running to the hand-off station (or whatever they call it) and hand the baton off to her teammate. Then she turned to walk across the road and then she saw us.
Talk about a special moment in my life.
I felt love pouring out of my heart for her. She and I have always been especially close...but to see her on this particular day at this particular spot, it did something for me. It just made me love her all the more and I could not have been prouder of her. It sounds dorky, but I told her that I was "proud as punch."
We were able to spend a few minutes with her but then she and her team had to leave to head off their next relay station...so we all parted ways.
But early the next morning a few of us got up to go and watch her run her second leg...which just happened to be from the town where we went to school to the tiny town where we grew up (we all found it amusing that she just happened to get that particular leg of the race).
Poor Shelly had had no sleep that night and felt like she was running on empty legs...but we were able to drive alongside her to cheer her on (and take photos of course). It was so neat to watch her do this.
She is a strong and beautiful woman and I love her guts.
So, enjoy the photos of Shelly's first RAGNAR race (click on one of the photos to notice those cool running shoes of hers). They placed 600 out of 688 teams and she said that next year she wants to come in dead last...she didn't care about winning...she just wanted to do it again and with the same team, as they had so much fun. I did notice that they were so supportive and kind to each other. The way it should be.
When I left the second leg of her race I had about an hours drive to reach home and while I drove I could not help but think about how Shelly and every one of my siblings supported and loved me through our son's life and death. I've written from time to time about things they did, but I've never made a full list. They were wholeheartedly there, supporting me (and my family) from the time we told them and they are still "here."
Shelly was so surprised that we showed up to watch her race. She had told us not to come, but we ignored her and went. I wanted to be there, to cheer her on and support her during her hardest leg. That was exactly what she and each of my siblings and parents had done...supported and cheered us on during our hardest leg.
They did what Jesus asked his disciples to do...watch with me...only I did not even have to ask.





2 comments:
Such a neat thing! I did one of those relay races in the past and it is TOUGH, but oh so fun!! I think one of my runs happened to be at like 2:30 in the morning, who runs at that time of day?!? Anyways, so neat you could be there to cheer her on, just as she has done for you.
Oh sweet sister! You made me cry with your love and proud words. Your experience dwarfs mine but thank you, thank you for your support! It made my RAG so much sweeter! Love, your sister S.
Post a Comment