There are times when my children do things that bring out all the love and gushiness of my heart. Then there are the moments when they challenge me and push me to what I feel is my max. Those are the moments when I wonder why I am a parent, if I've already ruined my children, and wonder how I am ever going to get through the future (I keep hearing about teenage years).
But those difficult moments pass on and sweet moments like this make my heart swell with pride and give me hope that we really can keep it together.
The Sorry Card
It goes like this:
Over Christmas break Hayden went to spend the day with his cousin Malcolm.
Malcolm had a little yellow sports car which Hayden fell in love with.
Before Hayden left Malcolm's home, he asked the for car.
Request denied.
I knew nothing of this as I was home at the time.
Hayden arrived home and promplty ran upstairs to show me what was gripped into his fist.
"Look Mom," he proudly exclaimed as he opened his hands to show me his newest prize.
A bright, yellow matchbox car!
"I asked Malcolm if I could have it and he said no. SO I TOOK IT!," he said proudly and with emphasis on the I TOOK IT.
He said it in such a way that I could barely contain my smile and laughter and at the same time I was thinking, "Oh no, now I have to teach about taking someone elses things."
We had several discussion about this car. I realized that just one talk would not do the trick. He later set the car aside to wait until we could return it to Malcolm.
Several days later we wrote Thank You cards to our aunt and I wish I had a photo of each of my children, perched at the counter, carefully creating their card (what was even neater was that it happened spontaneously).
Immediately after, we hopped into the car to go to a family gathering (with the yellow car in hand).
Just as Hayden got buckled into his booster, he stopped me and said, "Mom, wait. I need to write a Sorry Card to Malcolm. I need to tell him I am sorry I stole his car."
I was shocked and proud of him and his idea. I hurried off to get a card for him....and loved watching him make it. He wrote "Sorry" on the top and then traced the bright yellow mathbox car on the bottom.
As soon as we arrived at the party he sought out his cousin and gave him the card and car.
His cousin promptly forgave him for stealing AND gave Hayden the car.
A sweet reminder to me...on how I need to be better at saying "Sorry" and quickly forgiving and truely meaning it.
I love Hayden's idea of writing "Sorry Cards."

1 comment:
That is a sweet reminder to all of us! Very cute!!
Post a Comment