Sunday, October 24, 2010

My New Screen Saver

This is my new screen saver.


It's in hopes that when I get on the computer that I will remember what I came here for and to ask myself IF what I'm doing (on the computer or anywhere else for that matter) falls in line with doing "What Matters Most."

I taught a lesson in church today, about a recent talk given by Elder Dieter F. Uchdorf, titled "Of Things That Matter Most."  It was such a good reminder to me about simplifying my life and putting things aside (some of which I love dearly), for the sake of other things which are more important...like the relationships in my life.

At the beginning of the lesson we made a huge list on the chalkboard of all the things we women have to do during the day...starting with the first visit to the restroom in the morning to making breakfast, getting kids off to school, making Dr. apts, and helping kids with homework, preparing dinner, paying bills, texting, Face Book, exercise, reading scriptures and saying prayers with our young children.  The list was large and somewhat overwhelming.  And that's how I feel on many mornings, like "How am I going to get all this done?"

Elder Uchdorf's message was about simplifying our life, ridding it of things that sometimes interfere with our relationships with God, our family members, ourselves and those around us.

If you want, you can read or listen to his talk HERE.

One of the things that I've felt that I need to slow down on (for awhile) is my little photography business.  Spencer was surprised when I spoke to him about it over a  month ago, as he knows it's my creative outlet.  But I sense that I'm needed elsewhere right now.  So, I'm slowing down for the time being.  I feel so much peace since I made that decision.

I'm still lugging my camera around, only it's focused on my kids (much to their chagrin)!

This is from last week, in front of the most beautifully colored Virginia Creeper.  It's a knoxious weed, but man I love it in the fall for just this reason.



5 comments:

Kerri said...

Wow! Your post totally hit home! Thanks for the reminders, I needed them! I am feeling bad that it is Sunday evening at 11 pm and I am folding laundry and organizing my home so my week can get off to a good start. I really should be doing other things on Sunday that matter more, but I am just so behind.

I am shocked to hear you are stopping photography for the time being. However, how great it must feel to feel such peace about your decision. I am excited for you to have more time with your family. Photography will always be there, your little one's won't be little forever!

Jay and Krista said...

Thanks for the post Jen! It was a great reminder.
I LOVE the pictures of your kids. They are so grown up!

Kate said...

They are beautiful!! Hayden looks for big!! You are a great mom, and we feel lucky to have you here!!!

Emine said...

You have georgous children Jen, just like their mom and dad :)

Colin & Lori said...

Sydney is you in miniature! Hayden has lost his little boy look and Elle, wow, she is so grown up! I just can't believe it!