1957-2011
Uncle Joe passed away this past week and before we all go on with our lives I want to record a few things about him. I want my kids to remember Uncle Joe.
After he was born and it was determined that he had Downs Sydnrome (Trisomy 21), his parents were strongly encouraged by the hospital staff to leave him there at the hospital to die. Now I don't know all the details of this story and will probably get some of it wrong, but family folklore recalls that Joe's older Brent soon showed up at the hospital. Brent said, "He's my brother, we're taking him home." So they quickly packed up and left before anyone could stop them.
Several years later, when it came time for Joe to enter the public school system, they did not allow children with disabilities to enroll. So Joe's mother, Ruth started the Mt. Olympus Training School for Joe and other children like him. Apparently many children "came out of the woodwork" and attended this school. Their parents were appreciative of Grandma Ruth's efforts so they didn't have to keep their children in hiding anymore.
I don't know Joe that well, but enough to know two things that were HIM:
- He loved everyone! Pure love.
- He would always give us hugs and say, "You my friend."
Fifty three years of teaching people to "Love More."

1 comment:
This brings back the memories of Alp being diognized with down sendrume by mistake and how much hospital staff talked to us about geting abortion. I think this was a test for me and I passed it with A+. I am sorry for his death.
Post a Comment